League of Education Voters (LEV), founded in 2001, is a 501(c)4 non-partisan organization that partners with parents, students, and civic leaders who believe in a quality education from cradle to career.
LEV is a Washington-based organization working to improve public education from early learning through higher education. We shape the debate, build powerful coalitions, and grow the grassroots to achieve meaningful reform and ample resources for education.
Every student in Washington state has access to an excellent public education that provides an equal opportunity for success.
To achieve this vision, League of Education Voters will have the will, courage, and commitment to:
- Develop community-informed, targeted policy solutions to benefit students impacted by racism, poverty, disability discrimination, and other forms of oppression.
- Advocate for ample, equitable, and stable resources to meet the needs of every student.
- Mobilize families, businesses, youth, educators, communities, and other stakeholders to understand and remove the systemic barriers to each student’s success within the public education system.
- Partner with stakeholders to advocate for equitable, high-quality, and fully-funded education.
- Highlight research-driven and promising educational practices that prepare students to reach their full potential and contribute meaningfully to our democracy and economy.
- Provide voters, stakeholders, policymakers, and the media with strategic, accurate, and timely information about public education in Washington state.
At League of Education Voters, we base our work on the following values:
Put Students First
We first ask “What is the impact on students, particularly those furthest from opportunity?” We want every student to feel respected and cared for in their schools. We believe the public education system should be centered on what works to make students successful, healthy, and happy. Our policy-centered approach puts students first, and we want students to be at the center of their learning.
Every student brings with them different strengths and needs. Students should get the resources they need when they need them. Systems must adapt to serve students, especially those most impacted by historic and systematic oppression in the ways most effective for them.
Support Teachers and Leaders
Every student deserves and needs teachers and school leaders who believe in them and are equipped to help them succeed. We endorse quality education, training, support, and evaluation for teachers and leaders as well as ample, equitable, and stable resources to pay for them.
Engage Students, Families, and Communities
Students have an important voice in shaping the education system. Families are critical partners in student success. We commit to working with students, families, and communities to identify barriers and formulate solutions, and we support them in organizing to advocate for their future.
We commit to engaging with individuals and advocacy organizations supporting communities impacted by historic and systemic inequalities. We are most effective when we work with others toward common solutions, when we share credit for accomplishments, and when we focus on our collective goals.
We believe that every student can succeed and have high expectations for both the public education system and the students. We pursue ambitious, meaningful outcomes that lead to access and opportunity for all children. We continue to advocate for the resources needed to meet those expectations. We make data-informed decisions, and orient to long-term success.
We are an organization of learners; our work requires intellectual curiosity and solutions that challenge the status quo, and the commitment to learn in public. We will have the courage to act, accept responsibility, and strive to improve our practice.
Education is not a partisan issue; it is the paramount duty of our state government as required by our state constitution. Therefore, we are not allied with any political party but are an independent organization that focuses on policies and practices that puts students first.