Every student in Washington state has access to an excellent public education that provides equitable opportunities for success.
League of Education Voters (LEV Foundation) acts to serve the interests of students and families across the state of Washington to improve education access and quality, particularly those who have been harmed by historical and systemic inequities, by:
- Developing community-informed, targeted policy solutions to benefit students impacted by racism, poverty, disability discrimination, and other forms of oppression.
- Advocating for ample, equitable, and stable resources to meet the needs of every student.
- Mobilizing families, businesses, youth, educators, communities, and other stakeholders to understand and remove the systemic barriers to each student’s success within the public education system.
- Partnering with stakeholders to advocate for equitable, high-quality, and fully-funded education.
- Highlighting research-driven and promising educational practices that prepare students to reach their full potential and contribute meaningfully to our democracy and economy.
- Providing voters, stakeholders, policymakers, and the media with strategic, accurate, and timely information about public education in Washington state.
At League of Education Voters, we base our work on the following values:
Put Students First
Students have an important voice in shaping the education system. Families are critical partners in student success. We commit to working with students, families, and communities – especially Black, Indigenous and students of color, students with disabilities, students gaining English proficiency, students who identify as LGBTQ+, students experiencing homelessness, foster youth, and other historically marginalized students – to identify barriers and formulate solutions together, and we support them in organizing to advocate for their future.
Honor Community Knowledge and Experience
LEV recognizes that communities themselves offer the best definition of the challenges they face and often the best pathways for addressing them.
We are committed to understanding and dismantling historic and systemic racism which creates stark inequities in education and being held accountable for our own action or inaction. We are also committed to looking inward at LEV’s history, committing to changes, and being accountable for them.
We believe equity should lie at the heart of our decision-making. We must employ approaches and build structures and policies externally and internally that will be designed to embed equity at every decision point.
Advocate for Educators Who Better Reflect the Students They Serve
We believe students need teachers and school leaders who reflect them, understand their lived experiences, and are equipped to help them succeed.
We believe we are most effective when we work across the lines of difference toward common solutions. We will learn from the community and acknowledge the power of lived experience.
Act with Courage
We will have the courage to act, to learn from our actions, and to strive to improve our practice with innovation and humility.
We believe education is not a partisan issue. We are deeply engaged in the political process but do not align ourselves with any political party.
How We Operationalize Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as an Organization
We want every Washington student in public school to gain an excellent education that prepares them for success. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are central to this vision. Focusing on these three values is fundamental to ensuring all students learn to become compassionate, engaged, and productive members of society.
To these ends, we are guided by the following principles:
• Student-Centered: We first ask, “What is the impact on students, particularly those furthest from opportunity?” We want every student to feel respected and cared for in their schools.
• Collaborative: LEV aspires to engage with individuals and advocacy organizations supporting communities impacted by historical and systemic inequalities.
• Learning: Our work requires intellectual curiosity, the will to seek solutions that challenge the status quo, and the fortitude to learn in public. We are an organization of learners, and we value rigorous engagement with both data and community voice.
League of Education Voters (LEV) was founded in 2001 by Washingtonians to support an education system that provides every student an equal opportunity for success from cradle to career. Working on behalf of students, LEV has successfully led the charge on many of the landmark funding and policy decisions helping improve the education landscape in Washington.
League of Education Voters is made up of three separate organizations, a 501(c)3, 501(c)4, and a PAC:
- Our 501(c)3 is a charitable organization called the LEV Foundation.
- The 501(c)4 is a non-partisan organization called the League of Education Voters.
- The PAC is called the Education Voters Political Action Fund.
Love what we do? Support our work
Want to find out the latest in education news in Washington? Subscribe to our newsletter
Want to learn more about League of Education Voters? Find out here