By Lizzeth Mancilla
Engagement and Policy Intern
League of Education Voters is committed to taking action and rejecting any form of racism or hate against students, families, and communities. We support the Asian American and Pacific Islander community and communities of color across Washington state and everywhere.
Excerpt from the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Ten Ways to Fight Hate: A Community Response Guide:
Look inside yourself for biases and stereotypes.
Commit to disrupting hate and intolerance at home, at school, in the workplace, and in faith communities. Acceptance, fundamentally, is a personal decision. It comes from an attitude that is learnable and embraceable: a belief that every voice matters, that all people are valuable, that no one is “less than.”
We all grow up with prejudices. Acknowledging them — and working through them — can be a scary and difficult process. It’s also one of the most important steps toward breaking down the walls of silence that allow intolerance to grow. Luckily, we all possess the power to overcome our ignorance and fear and to influence our children, peers, and communities.
Here are organizations actively supporting the AAPI community.
- AAPI Women Lead (donation link)
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice (donation link)
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice: Asian Law Caucus (donation link)
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice: Atlanta (donation link)
- Asian American Advocacy Fund (donation link)
- Asian American Feminist Collective (donation link)
- Asian Americans for Equality (donation link)
- Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (donation link)
- Asian Counseling and Referral Service (donation link)
- Asian Mental Health Collective (donation link)
- Asian Pacific Fund (donation link)
- Empowering Pacific Islander Communities (donation link)
- Gold House (donation link)
- National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum (donation link)
- Stop AAPI Hate (donation link)
- South Asian Americans Leading Together (donation link)
- #TheyCantBurnUsAll (donation link)
Below are a few books to educate ourselves and learn about the AAPI experience in the United States.
- Asian American Dreams – Author: Helen Zia
- Asian American Feminisms – Edited by Leslie Bow
- Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning – Author: Cathy Park Hong
- The Making of Asian America – Author: Erika Lee
- This Time Will Be Different – Author: Misa Sugiura
- Yellow Peril!: An Archive of Anti-Asian Fear – Edited by John Kuo Wei Tchen and Dylan Yeats